Oct 11, 2011

Holidays

I love mid-week holidays. I do. I love them more than I love the lasagne at Mocambo's. And I usually plan to do lots on a holiday. And surprise surprise, it never goes as planned.

After working for two years at a place where planning is as important to work as the Bible is to Christians, I should know that I never end up sticking to the damn plan. EVER. Everytime a holiday approaches, I have grand plans of -
1. cleaning my room until it's fit to be a part of the Buckingham Palace
2. going out for a long, lazy lunch, followed by a nice afternoon browsing through books
3. a refreshing nap
4. a walk down Marine Drive
5. catching up with friends
6. watching a movie and
7. visiting the nearest dessert place.

Now this may seem achievable to normal people. But for me, this would require a whole week. I'll tell you why -

On a holiday, I tend to start my day only around noon. There goes the cleaning plan. When you wake up at 12, there is only so much time you can spare to clean your room. All I do is look around the room, carelessly shrug and think to myself, 'it isn't that dirty' and fall back into bed. After what seems like a monstrous effort, I get out and forget all about stepping out for lunch, heading straight to the dining room and gobbling whatever's been cooked. Browsing at bookstores is completely forgotten as I head back to bed for a ridiculously long nap.

Before I know it, the day is almost coming to an end. I wake up around 6 pm, with a massive sleep-induced headache, only to realise that a walk is about to make me feel worse (my medical theories will baffle all practitioners, but they actually work on me). So I stay at home, reading a book I've probably read a 100 times before. Friends can catch up with me via texts or emails; I'm no longer in the mood to step outside my room.

And just like that, the holiday is over. It's time to get back to work. Sleep is no longer my constant companion, it evades me until the wee hours of morning and returns on a holiday. I'm starting to think my brain hates me. Which is why it puts me through crazy bouts of insomnia all through the week, then makes me sleep all day long on a holiday only to make my head hurt worse than a hangover. I think it's revenge for making my brain work overtime, thanks to the ADHD.

Now that I have a 5-day holiday coming up, I'm about to plan realistically - I will visit my parents, laze all day, plop down on the couch and watch TV while my mother happily lectures me on my ever-expanding waistline and engage in pointless arguments with my father. That seems easily achievable, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment