Oct 12, 2009

A superhero to the recue

Vampires seem to have become a rage lately. Be it the smoldering Bill Compton from True Blood, or the charismatic Edward Cullen (I cant choose between the two), vampires have are the 'in thing'. I was hooked to the twilight series a while ago, hard to resist with someone as mesmerizing as Edward Cullen to look forward to. Lately, twilight has been pushed to the back of my mind thanks to True Blood. And I often wonder, what's next? The Harry Potter and Lord of the rings craze has been taken over by vampires. Who will replace these fanged superheroes? Werewolves? Zombies? Banshees? Aliens? Or an entirely new species?
What I love the most about this is the fact that these are the very characters that were once labeled as evil. Witchcraft was and still if considered as a taboo in many countries and yet Harry Potter is not just accepted, but worshiped worldwide. I have seen children roaming the streets on the 31st of July, dressed as wizards with fake wands, muttering gibberish chants playfully. Vampires were considered to be foul creatures and yet no one who has read twilight will accuse the Cullen clan of being evil. Fictional characters are changing thinking patterns globally, transforming villains into heroes.
I often wonder if the same policy would work for more relevant causes. Say, for example, the homosexual community, that is still looked upon as being 'abnormal' by a majority of the global population. Would it help if someone like Batman came up and declared himself as being homosexual? Would that help change the way people think?
I often wish for a superhero with the power to change the world. But right now, I wish the superhero has the power to complete my current editing project. The world can wait for a few more moments, my cookbook needs rescue :)

3 comments:

  1. I still prefer the idea of batman, or maybe even superman coming out of the closet... I had no clue Batman died..That was tragic. I wonder what happened. Was it a costume disaster? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's MY comment? Where's it gone? Juie, WHAT have you done with it? CONfess!

    ReplyDelete