Oct 7, 2009

What was I thinking?

I often wonder what or rather if I was thinking when I wanted to become a writer. It was a rather impulsive decision; as I sat through another mundane lecture daydreaming about sun-kissed beaches and rum-soaked cocktails, I thought - let's make that happen. A humdrum life will never agree with me. I can't sit at the same desk for years, dressed in clothes that were created to kill the owner, staring at a computer for 8 hours everyday for 6 days a week. I wanted something that would make life fun and relatively easy. And Bang! The idea of choosing writing as a profession was born. A tiny little daydream that eventually rooted itself and turned into a reality.
As I look back, I cant really blame myself for choosing this profession. It helps me keep my usually lazy brain extremely active. Although that is strictly limited to office hours. If someone questions me about work during dinner, they are greeted with a completely blank look, or an icy glare that successfully manages to shoo away some of the toughest people I have known.
Writers are often labeled as 'eccentric' , 'weird' and even 'doped'. But I must say, it is the best thing that could ever happen to me. I may criticize every single word I edit, hope that most of my clients rot in the deepest pits of hell, at the end of the day, i can proudly say 'For once, i was thinking right.'

1 comment: